Friday, April 06, 2007

It Seemed Better Than Getting a Real Job

As a prize for myself for finishing my paper recently, I bought this t-shirt from PhD Comics. The text reads,

GRAD SCHOOL
IT SEEMED BETTER THAN GETTING A REAL JOB

Which is, of course, fantastic. It's also completely true, in that I didn't have any desire whatsoever to get a "real job," and grad school was really the only choice for someone wanting to make a career out of astrophysics research. Annoyingly, the shirt is short-sleeved, and it's been freaking snowing here in Ohio the last few days, so I won't get a chance to wear it for a while. And, yes, after complaining bitterly about how too hot it was in my office, now I am complaining it is too cold.

Incidentally, Jorge Cham, the writer of Phd Comics, will be giving a talk at OSU the beginning of May. He gave a talk at MIT about two years ago, right as I was finishing my undergrad thesis. I really was planning on going, and I was looking forward to it it and everything, but I wound up taking a nice four-hour nap instead. A good friend of mine, who was a graduate student in physics at MIT at the time, went and bought both of the PhD books for me, and got them autographed. The third book is coming out soon, but unfortunately won't be available until after Cham's visit.

1 comment:

Dave said...

Thanks for the link, that's a pretty hilarious site.